Looking for a therapist? Here are 5 things to consider!Feb 14, 2023
Are you looking for a new therapist? Or maybe to begin therapy for the first time? Here are five things to consider when looking for a therapist:
- Experience and expertise: Ensure that the therapist you choose has experience and expertise treating the issue you are facing. You may want to read their credentials and ask them about their track record.
- Professionalism: Make sure the therapist is licensed or credentialed by a recognized authority for their specialty, such as the American Psychological Association, the American Counseling Association, or your state’s professional association.
- Communication style: Determine how well the therapist will communicate with you and how comfortable you are with their communication style. Think about how much feedback they provide, how often they provide it, and what kinds of techniques they use to help you.
- Cost: Consider the cost of therapy and if you can afford the therapist’s fees based on your income. Some therapists offer discounts or sliding scale fees.
- Comfort level: Make sure you feel comfortable with the therapist and their approach to treatment. This is important in creating a safe and trusting environment. If you don’t feel comfortable, it could interfere with your progress.
Ultimately, the therapeutic relationship is most important. It matters that you feel comfortable and safe with your therapist. Your therapist should be knowledgeable, nonjudgmental, and able to help you challenge any negative patterns you find yourself in. You can always ask to be referred to another provider and should feel comfortable speaking your truth. Reach out today to see if we’re the right fit for you!