The following links are listed to provide you with additional online mental health care information, and resources we recommend. The following is not meant to be a comprehensive list, nor is it an endorsement of the content of the sites.
Local Resources Being Human Group Recommends
Often in a healing journey, we need more than one support. Here are some resources our team recommends-these resources have been personally vetted by our team.
Holistic/Functional Medicine Practitioners
- Ann Arbor Psych
- Dr. Gresham and the team at Michigan Mental Wellness
- Dr. Garcia and the team at The Psychiatry and Psychology Center
Trans Health and Resources
Organizations Providing Scholarships for Trans Surgeries & Treatments
These organizations provide scholarships intended to fully or partially cover the cost of gender-affirming surgery. Please note that these organizations receive a large number of applications and are only able to fund a few individuals.
Michigan-Specific Name Change Information
Your client may be unable to update their driver’s license or state ID until their ticket is paid off. As of March, 2016, an individual does not have to undergo gender confirmation surgery to change the gender on a license. In order to update name and/or gender on a Michigan ID, the applicant should submit in person to a DMV branch office the following:
- The current ID.
- To update the gender marker, a signed Sex Designation Form (indicating designation Male or Female).
- To update the name, proof of name change, after first updating their name with the Social Security Administration.
- Proof of name change is a certified name-change document, such as a court order. Multiple documents may be needed if your name has changed more than once. Name change documents must show both the changed name and the previous name.
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration also requires proof of Legal Presence when correcting a commercial driver’s license.
- To first update your name with Social Security, you must provide proof of identity, legal presence, and name change.
The Michigan Secretary of State addresses name changes here. See also the Driver’s License and Personal Identification Card ID requirements.
The applicable fee is $9 to update a driver’s license, and $10 to update a state ID card. Please reference fees here. You should receive your new card during your visit or by mail soon after.
Other corrections must be submitted at a branch office and include changing your name or date of birth or adding and dropping endorsements and Commercial Driver License group designations. A correction to a commercial driver’s license costs $9. The department is also issuing an enhanced driver's license which has a different fee structure than noted. Please contact the department's Information Center at 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424) with any questions.
Source: Trans Equality, Michigan ID Documents
Source: Michigan Secretary of State Information on Change of Name
Books Being Human Group Recommends
Tools We Love
Associations & Institutes
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- American Counseling Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Psychological Association
- American Psychological Society
- Center for Mental Health Services
- Mental Health America
- National Institute of Mental Health
- National Mental Health Association
- National Eating Disorders Association
- National Sleep Foundation
- National Women’s Health Resource Center
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- National Center for PTSD
- Give an Hour— for veterans and their families
- National Center for PTSD Real Warriors (U.S. Department of Defense)— for veterans and their families
- The Gift From Within
- Sidran Institute
Addiction and Recovery
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Child Abuse and Domestic Violence
- DrugWatch.com provides up-to-date information about prescription and over-the-counter medications, including details about associated side effects
- Microdosing Institute
- Psilocybin Drug Interactions
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
Schedule an Appointment
Fill out the form below to schedule an appointment with The Being Human Group