Thinking About Psychedelic Therapy?Jan 24, 2023
Thinking about psychedelic therapy? Ketamine therapy has been taking off, and the research for other psychedelics continues to be promising. As states continue to consider decriminalizing the use of psychedelics, we hope to see greater access and healing for everyone.
Why would someone consider psychedelic therapy? Read on to find out more.
- Improve mental health: Psychedelic therapy is known to be effective in treating mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, and substance use struggles. It can help reduce the intensity of symptoms such as racing thoughts, distractibility, and panic associated with such conditions. Through the use of psychedelic substances in a supportive and safe environment, individuals have the opportunity to gain insight into the causes of their mental health issues and become more empowered to take charge of their recovery. (Supportive, therapeutic environment is key here!)
- Break through psychological blockages: Psychedelic therapy can help individuals unlock hidden aspects of their psyche and confront fears and challenging experiences. It can also provide new perspectives on old traumas and allowing for a shift in awareness and understanding. You can become more of an observer in your story and see things from a different perspective.
- Self-exploration: Psychedelic therapy provides an opportunity to explore one's inner world and gain further self-understanding, particularly in terms of aspects of the self that may have been neglected or unexplored before.
- Setting intentions: Psychedelic therapy is often used in conjunction with intention-setting, which can provide an anchor for the therapeutic process and help individuals focus on the most important aspects of their experience for healing.
- Rewiring neural pathways: Psychedelics can cause temporary changes to neural pathways and create new connections that can help create healthier and more adaptive ways of thinking, feeling, and responding.
If you’re considering this path, make sure to consider the following:
- Start by researching the specific psychedelic you plan to use. Knowing the risks and potential effects is key to using psychedelics safely.
- Consider microdosing (taking a very small dose). This can be an excellent way to get acquainted with a psychedelic and can have lasting beneficial effects.
- Make sure you are in a safe, non-judgmental environment with people you trust - this will help regulate and improve your trip.
- Set an intention before taking your psychedelic - this will help you to focus and decide what works best for you.
- Drink plenty of water and be sure to get a good night's sleep before and after your experience. This will help your body and mind to recover more quickly and limit the negative after-effects.
- Allow yourself to be open and grounded to the experience. Consider processing and integrating your experience with a therapist. Allow yourself to be connected and make full use of the experience by working with a therapist.
- Finally, check the legalities of your choices and the area you are living in. Be safe first and foremost!